This blog has moved! Please visit my new website:

Leather food chain

>> Monday, April 25, 2011


My table at The Handmade Market on Saturday was right across the aisle from Noelle of oelle m. She had a beautiful booth display and was selling her paintings, handbags, and embroidered pillows. (You can see more examples of her work on flickr.) But her leather necklaces are what really caught my eye. 


After staring at these gorgeous necklaces for a few hours, it dawned on me that I might have some supplies that Noelle could use.  When I make my leather journals, I often have scraps of leather left over that I just can't use.  Oftentimes these pieces of leather or suede are fairly large, but if I can't cut a rectangle from them large enough to cover my pages the leather bits will just end up in my scrap pile.  (And as my husband will tell you, I have a hard time parting with my scraps.  I have several boxes, bowls, and bags filled with scraps of paper, fabric, and leather sitting around my studio just in case I find a use for them later.) 

So I offered to send Noelle my extra bits of leather, thinking it would be a win-win for us both.  She'd have some extra materials to make new necklaces, and I'd be able to clear out my studio and send my leather to a good home.  And as we were leaving the show, she generously gave me one of her necklaces (the prettiest one, too!) to thank me.


I absolutely love my new necklace, and I've been wearing it both yesterday and today.  I received several complements on it at work today, and I got to share the story about how I got the necklace with my co-workers.  I have all of my leather scraps packaged up to send to Noelle tomorrow, and I'm glad to know I have someone to send my extra pieces to as I continue to make more leather books. 

2 comments:

eve April 26, 2011 at 4:40 AM  

very pretty! I am so eager to get back into my studio once our things arrive...although, baby arrives right about then too...
<hope you had a great show!

Katie April 26, 2011 at 8:46 AM  

Hi Eve. Great to hear from you! I hope everything has been going well for you, and I can't wait to see some pictures of your sweet baby girl when she arrives! Tony, Chase, and I have been enjoying your blog posts. Keep 'em up. :)

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP