This blog has moved! Please visit my new website:

Chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla books

>> Monday, March 29, 2010



This weekend I finished a set of three custom books. I couldn't be more pleased with the way they turned out. My friend Diana asked me to make personalized journals that she will give as a gift to the parents of three little girls (the youngest of the sisters was just born this month!).

When Diana and I talked about the concept for the books, she knew she wanted the books to be feminine with a brown and pink color scheme. But neither of us were interested in making them too girly. We also wanted them to be similar, and to form a cohesive set, but did not want them to be identical. The Japanese blossom papers were a perfect fit. I was able to find similar blossom patterns with cream, pink, and brown backgrounds at Paper Source, as well as bookcloth in the same colors. The guards and endsheets were made from light pink paper that matched the book covers.



I cut a recessed area into the front cover of each book, where I attached a custom-designed nameplate with each girl's name. Each book has 160 pages, providing plenty of room for journaling, collaging, scrapbooking, and doodling. I used the Coptic binding to stitch these books together. Pink waxed linen thread in a shade darker than the papers on the spine makes for a subtle contrast while still maintaining the color scheme.



And a side note: When I look at these books, I can't help but think of Neapolitan ice cream. Chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla. Classic flavors, stunning color combination.



To read my posts about the books in progress, click here and here.

5 comments:

Lizzie March 30, 2010 at 3:28 PM  

Oh they have come out so well! If I were the parents of those three little girls, I would be so thrilled! What a wonderful gift - and what absolutely gorgeous books!

Well done Katie - they are fabulous!

APW March 30, 2010 at 6:22 PM  

Katie, your stuff is just fabulous. I know Jon and I will have to order something from you soon! :)

Katie March 30, 2010 at 8:09 PM  

Thank you so much, Lizzie! :)

elizabeth rosemond March 31, 2010 at 3:23 AM  

these are gorgeous katie!!

Katie March 31, 2010 at 9:30 AM  

Thanks, Elizabeth! I'm glad you've been reading along.

And Ashley, that would be greatly appreciated. I'll be adding a few new things to my Etsy shop soon, or I could always make something customized just for you two. :)

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP