This blog has moved! Please visit my new website:

Rendezvous at the Wawa

>> Friday, December 31, 2010


When working on custom books for specific events, I find it interesting to see which elements ultimately propel the design in a certain direction.

For this wedding guest book, Jessica started out open to suggestions. She worried that she wasn't being specific enough in her preferences. But it only took a couple of key decisions for us to solidify an idea: Jessica asked for eco-friendly materials and a specific color scheme.

I knew right away that Lokta paper would be a good choice to meet both goals. It is available in lots of bold colors, created with organic dyes, that allowed me to pick a bright yellow and a royal blue. Jessica had identified these colors as appropriate for her beach wedding, representing the sun and the sea.

Lokta paper, handmade in Nepal, is also sustainable. Instead of using trees, the paper is made from Daphne plant fibers and harvested in such a way to promote further growth of the plant. These standards go hand in hand with the paper's quality as a strong and acid-free material for bookbinding.


Jessica also knew she needed a quick turnaround so the book could be used for events leading up to the wedding, in addition to the big day. I've found myself encouraging other brides to follow Jessica's idea in using my wedding guest books to record messages from friends and family at engagement parties, bridal showers, and other wedding-related events.

To be married in October, Jessica ordered June 1. A week later, my husband was en route to Richmond with the book. Already scheduled to pick up a friend at the airport there, it was easy for him to deliver the book to Jessica at a corner Wawa convenient store near the airport. Although Jessica shopped in the global marketplace that is Etsy, she benefited by finding me, just an hour and a half to the west.

2 comments:

Lizzie December 31, 2010 at 7:33 PM  

The Title of this post drew me here immediately! Fab title and fab post too.
I love the wedding album you made! It is wonderful to get a commission and to produce a book that makes someone happy... I have had several this year and loved the results (even if sometimes the process was painful!).
Thanks for the information about Lokta paper. I didn't know all that - and it's great to know it's an eco-friendly and sustainable product. Something I could use too.
Love the inset card on the front, with the wedding details. Love the blue and yellow, the section wrappers in the same blue, the coptic binding... It's a gorgeous book.

Katie January 4, 2011 at 4:59 PM  

Thank you very much, Lizzie!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP